What could be better than having warm muffin on a winter breakfast table? One good thing about them is that they are easy and quick to make. The ingredients used for making them simply need to be mixed lightly instead of being beaten smooth. So, why go for a basic one? This is a good question indeed. Assuming you desire them, would you not like to have them with chocolate chips or blueberries or raisins or nuts? Sometimes, you might in the mood of having something simple. Perhaps, sometimes the simple things end up being nicer.
Basic Muffin Recipe
Prep Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- Granulated sugar: ½ cup
- All-purpose flour or pastry flour: 2 cups
- Baking powder: 1 tablespoon
- Ground cinnamon: ¼ tsp
- Salt: ½ teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg: 1/8 teaspoon
- Whole milk: 1 cup
- Egg: 1
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- First, preheat oven at 400 degrees centigrade.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Heat butter for minimum one minute or until it is melted completely. Keep the melted butter aside to cool and do not allow it to solidify once again.
- Now beat the egg in another container and add milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Take a 12-cup muffin pan and grease it thoroughly. You can also make use of paper liners.
- Now, check the melted butter. Make sure it is warm and not hot. Add some butter to the milk-vanilla-egg blend and stir everything together. Repeat the stirring procedure a few times while adding slightly larger quantities of liquid butter. Make sure that all the ingredients are incorporated very well.
- The next step is adding liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and blending correctly so that the dry ingredients mix properly. Do not mix the ingredients for a very long time. Ten to fifteen seconds would be enough. You will now have a lumpy batter.
- Allow the batter to rest for at least ten to fifteen minutes. This will allow the flour gluten to relax which will further help the dry flour lumps to easily dissolve.
- Now, pour the batter gently into your already prepared pan and put it to bake instantly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the toothpick inserted into it comes out clean.
- Your basic muffins are ready to be served and enjoyed.
If you are thinking of adding some more flavors to the them, the right thing that you can do is stir in some chocolate chips, nuts or blueberries. However, in that case, you will have to add the stir-ins along with the dry ingredients instead of adding them in the end. Covering the blueberries or the nuts with flour will help in preventing them from sinking to the bottom while the cakes are baked. There are other variations that you can also try out with raisins, dates, pecans, whole-wheat, and bacon. Also, make sure to use fresh spices for better baking results. This way, you will be able to savor your cake for a very long time.